Wow! 2010 has been an amazing year for me! I’d like to say my year started in March when I took a job and sort of moved to Indianapolis on a whim. I lived in Elkhart, Indiana pretty much my entire life and like most people my age…I was ready to move on! As a recent graduate of Indiana University, I wasn’t really looking for a full-time steady job. At the time I was working part-time and also juggling modeling and hosting Nightlights in Michiana. I have to admit that at the time, my work situation just wasn’t cutting it.
One evening I randomly came across a job posting on …get this…Facebook! (I know.) The description fit my qualifications almost perfectly! Well long story short … I got the job. Then it was time for a serious decision.
Looking back, moving to Indy seems like the obvious choice but at the time it was somewhat a scary idea. There were so many “uncertainties”. My main concern was, “what will happen to Nightlights?” I had invested so much time and energy into helping get Nightlights off the ground – and it was finally starting to be recognized as we experienced a lot of positive feedback. The last thing I wanted was for Nightlights to end.
We had a serious discussion as my stomach twisted and turned in knots! After a taking a deep breath and exhaling we decided to brave it and move the show to Indy. In reality, Indy is a much bigger market with more opportunities…and if Nightlights could work in Michiana, then it could certainly have a high chance of success in Indy. Plus I figured, if I don’t make this move now, then I never will. It’s easy to stay in your comfort zone but sometimes in life you have to push yourself. Here goes nothing…
My 2010 highlights:
Midwest Fashion Week
1) I ushered in the new move to Indy with modeling in Midwest Fashion Week. My favorite time of year in the fashion industry! It’s my favorite show to walk in because it’s such a big deal and the runway is sooo long! There are usually two shows a year (Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter). It’s the biggest production in the area as far as runway and fashion are concerned. Plus I got to walk for three different designers, the most I’ve ever modeled for in one show: Sachika, Gaby Couture and Catou. And the most outfits too! The adrenaline rush from having to frantically change looks …running around half-naked backstage and then entering the runway calm, cool and collected like all that didn’t just happen is such a thrill!
2) I met the fabulous people of Fashion Wrap Up and modeled in my first national campaign for Tavik Swimwear. Since then, I’ve modeled several other times for their online magazine. Plus I was named one of the “Midwest’s Most Beautiful” in their December issue.
custom T.Party t-shirt: "I like to T.Party with Beers"
3) I scored a jewelry sponsorship with Cheeky Couture. Get Your Cheeky On! I also landed my first clothing sponsorship with T.Party T-shirts and received the very first custom-made shirt that read “I like to T.Party with Beers” .
4) We launched Nightlights in Indy after filming the first couple segments in Broad Ripple at Midtown Grill and the Alley Cat Lounge. We also implemented the LIVE webcast, something we’d never done before.
5) Continued juggling Nightlights in Michiana. Ran our first full-page ad in the Michiana Entertainer magazine …which apparently caused some commotion. The next time we traveled up to film some more segments in Michiana, people lined up to get my autograph.
6) On that same note, 2010 was the first year I experienced a fan literally running up to me in the street to tell me how much he enjoys watching the show. I was flattered that he felt so honored to meet me …it was actually kind of weird in a way! It’s surreal when someone who’s introducing them self is familiar with who I am and I have no clue who they are!
The same kind of thing happened when we did a LIVE feed at Gen Con. We just moved the show to Indy and someone from Michiana was there, ran up to me …”Are you Amy Beers?” and wanted to get a picture.
Another time I was eating dinner at Sangrias in South Bend. I thought maybe I was going crazy because I thought I over heard some people sort of whispering at the table next to us and I thought I heard them say “Nightlights”. They were kind of looking over my way too. Finally someone spoke up and said, “Hey, are you the Nightlights girl?” I was glad to know I wasn’t paranoid OR going crazy!
It’s really an odd thing to experience but at the same time I’m happy to know people watch and enjoy the show! It’s very encouraging!
Catou at Bella Vita
7) I had my first Rehab experience at Bella Vita in Geist when I modeled Catou’s swimwear line. That was a fun show! The runway was right over the pool of water. Fun party afterwards…can’t wait for summer 2011!
Also that summer was my first Moto GP party held at the Kessler Mansion, which I also modeled in. I felt like I was at one of those high-end parties you see in the movies. I had just never been to a party like that before. It had everything: fire-dancers, an aerialist performing over the pool, go-go dancers, a fashion show, shot girls walking around in body paint, a live drummer drumming along with the DJ, models hanging out in jacuzzis, several bars, not to mention the mansion was so neat to walk through! Everyone was there!
Moto GP Runway Show
"My Casino Heart"
8.) I got the lead female role in my first music video! I played the part of the temptress in the video My Casino Heart with the band Reaul. (yet to be released)
9) I modeled in a hair show for renowned celebrity hairstylist Nicholas French. As he was cutting my hair he talked with the audience about how he’s done the hair of royalty. I think I may have gotten a little emotional over hearing that and I loved the end result! He kept talking about how he was giving me a sexy cut! I wish I had video of him cutting my hair and talking in his European accent!
Me and Nicholas French
10) I was named the official spokesmodel for T.Party t-shirts at the runway show debut! Since, I modeled in the first photo spread T.Party launch for Fashion Wrap Up and also did some product shots for the website. It’s been a lot of fun working with T.Party.
Kaitlin Elyse of T.Party t-shirts with the ladies of Cheeky Couture Jewelry (Angie & Lisa), Me and another model Lynda
11) I GOT A LIMO FOR MY BIRTHDAY!
My boyfriend Jason threw me an awesome surprise birthday party! I was surprised at some of the people who came considering they were coming from Michiana area. Some of my new friends that I’ve made since moving to Indy were there as well as an old college friend I recently re-connected with. My sister made it out and my Mom and Aunt of all people even came! Oh and one of my besties from high school!
I was completely surprised! We rode to Bartini’s (Indy newest dance club/martini bar) in two limos where we partied all night long VIP style! There was never a dry moment – we were well taken care of. It was nice having the body-guard keeping watch over our area to make sure no one crashed our party. I felt like a rock star!
What was even more exciting was, I found out that Nightlights will be working with the limo service in the future… which means that I will get to be chauffeured around to some of the Nightlights shoots! Look for Indy Class Act Limousine service in some of the upcoming episodes!
So that’s been my year, 2010! I’m glad I made the move to Indy, big things are happening! I can’t wait to announce the really big news next year! Sorry, I can’t even give you a hint yet but make sure you subscribe to my blog to stay updated! I’m looking forward to even greater things in the year to come!
Happy New Year! May it be the best year ever!
Now I’m off to go party and try out my new Ninja Blender I got for Christmas!
Watch last year’s ringing in the New Year with Nightlights at Club Bed in Mishawaka: http://nightlights.tv/31.shtm